D&B David and Baias – a successful partnership.
In a partnership, the success belongs to the partnership. The team wins and with it, each one of its members.
Chambers Europe 2022
TAX – BAND 1
D&B David si Baias specialises in contentious tax matters and has proven expertise in proceedings before Romanian courts. The law firm handles disputes relating to VAT, corporate income tax and environmental levies for excess waste. It offers tax advisory services through its strong connection to PwC, assisting with both national and international matters, including double taxation treaties. It represents an extensive array of clients from the oil and gas industry, as well as the retail and agricultural sectors.
- An observer values that the lawyers’ ideas and actions are “excellent – extremely well documented and with even better results than we had expected.”
Dan Dascălu (band 1) – attracts ample praise for his skills as a tax litigator. He is considered an expert in a range of contentious matters, often concerning corporate income tax, VAT and environmental tax contributions.
- A client appreciates that he is “customer-oriented, has deep knowledge and provides timely responses.”
COMPETITION/ANTITRUST – BAND 2
D&B David si Baias frequently acts for public and private sector clients on state aid matters. The law firm is also engaged to represent clients in competition investigations, covering bid rigging, exchange of sensitive information and excessive pricing allegations. It maintains a strong offering in merger clearance mandates, as well as advising on compliance matters. The team is particularly popular with clients from the energy sector.
- A client notes D&B David si Baias’ strong reputation in competition matters, describing the team as “experienced and pragmatic.”
Eminent practitioner Sorin David is a renown figure in the market. He represents clients in antitrust investigations and often assists with merger notifications. Market commentators appreciate his reputation and experience.
- Lucian Bozian “helped us very well,” a happy client says. He frequently assists with dawn raid procedures and market investigations.
CORPORATE/M&A – BAND 4
Frequently acts on the sell side of M&A transactions, including advising shareholders on divestments. Routinely assists with the local aspects of cross-border acquisitions, mergers and spin-offs as part of wider reorganisation processes, as well as with corporate regulatory matters. Regularly represents clients from the life sciences and energy sectors.
Anda Rojanschi (band 4) advises domestic and international clients on the acquisition of Romanian companies, as well as representing shareholders in sales. She acts for investment companies and clients from the banking and manufacturing industries.
DISPUTE RESOLUTION – ROMANIA – BAND 5
Dan Dascălu (band 5) of D&B David si Baias is highly reputed for his expertise in tax disputes, particularly litigation concerning VAT and liabilities. He also represents clients in procurement disputes and appeals against fines.
- A client appreciates his ability in “combining the skills of a bright litigator with the highest legal knowledge of a university professor.”
Chambers Global 2022
Corporate/M&A – Romania – BAND 4
Anda Rojanschi advises domestic and international clients on the acquisition of Romanian companies, as well as representing shareholders in sales. She acts for investment companies and clients from the banking and manufacturing industries.
TAX – TIER 1
D&B David si Baias SCA fields a selection of “very proficient lawyers” who are “experts both on the tax area and in in the management of the contentious procedures”. The well-balanced practice includes highly-rated tax litigation head Dan Dascălu who is “one of the best tax litigators on the market”. He is supported by the “excellent professional skills” of Mihail Boian , commended for being “an exceptional communicator and team organizer”. The lawyers are regularly trusted with a broad range of complex direct and indirect tax disputes. The firm’s membership of the PwC network also makes it a top choice for strategic advisory matters, with additional corporate and regulatory input from partners such as Sorin David .
Leading individuals – Dan Dascălu
Next Generation Partners – Ana-Maria Iordache
- “D&B David si Baias has a team of very proficient lawyers, experts both on the tax area and in in the management of the contentious procedures, providing for our company an exceptional legal assistance during a very complex matter.”
- “D&B David & Baias has a very professional team of lawyers, each individual lawyer having an excellent expertise in the legal area he or she is proficient. We have worked closely with Mihail Boian, who has excellent professional skills and expertise, being oriented to the client, an exceptional communicator and team organizer.”
- “Dan Dascalu and his team have an exceptional practice in tax litigations, coming from three areas: in depth knowledge of Fiscal Procedural Code and permanent collaboration and research of Dan Dascalu to improve legislation in this area; books written in this field; Grow and maintain valuable members in his team, such as Mihail Boian.”
- “Dan Dascalu is closely supervising the cases, although there are junior partners involved in the case, perfectly capable to handle it; this is the best insurance for the client that the case is treated in the best way possible; he is also getting in touch with the clients for sensitive matters. He is always aware what is going on with the case. Mihail Boian, despite the fact that he is very busy, will always be in touch with the client and keep hands on the file, advising the client on best approach and, in general, about similar cases on the market, position of the authorities, developments of legislation. Even after years he will remember details of the case. Andreea Racu-Stoica is also performing well.”
- “The team is great in handling challenging litigation, who require a multidisciplinary approach and a thorough, in-depth knowledge of fiscal regulations and proceedings, as the lawyers” practical experience and excellent theoretical background makes even the most difficult cases seem easy for them.”
- “Dan Dascalu is one of the best tax litigators on the market, with excellent background derived from being both a practitioner and a professor with a successful academic career. He leads a team who is able to bring victory to even the most difficult and complex cases, who require the highest degree of know how and ability to implement such know how into solutions that fit the client’s needs.”
- “Their legal team has also a very good knowledge of tax issues, and that’s of essence.”
- “Agile, tech users, open-minded.”
EU AND COMPETITION – TIER 1
D&B David si Baias SCA has a “highly qualified and experienced” team for EU and competition matters. Managing partner Sorin David is “one of the most outstanding competition law lawyers in Romania”, whose ongoing presence remains a key selling point. The team also fields a selection of up-and-coming lawyers, including managing associate Lucian Bozian , who is “valuable support with his in-depth expertise, experience and guidance in competition law matters”. The firm has strong expertise on high level EU issues, and regularly handles investigations by the authorities. The lawyers also have good experience of merger clearance issues.
Leading individuals – Sorin David
Rising stars – Lucian Bozian
- “They are undeniably the market leader – accurate, with an excellent understanding of both business and legal perspective.”
- “Sorin David – in-depth knowledge of the law, offers legal solutions even for the most complicated business ideas. Lucian Bozian – efficient, pragmatic and customer oriented”
- “The practice has a strong knowledge of the current market developments, it is connected to the realities of industry and its main challenges (Pharma in our case), therefore can provide business oriented solutions to help move things along, and support the needs and objectives of the business.”
- “Lucian Bozian is the day to day counterpart. He makes himself available on a very short notice, always connects quickly to the essence of the matter, follows up and delivers solutions which are business oriented and supportive.”
- “The competencies in the competition practices are indisputable, the response time is immediate, the activity of following the file / files in question is extremely efficient, the risk of missing a term is practically non-existent. The invoicing system is transparent and automatic, the developer is always checked with the customer before issuing the invoice, avoiding further misunderstandings related to costs. Last but not least, D&B team listens to the client carefully and offers possible approaches explaining the risks and benefits of each option.”
- “Sorin David, with his determined nature and excellent communication skills, is undoubtedly an expert in the field. He approaches all aspects in a calm and professional way and correctly manages all information. Andreea Toncu, is a valuable associate. She is well organized and always available to provide assistance. She is analytical with great attention to details. I appreciate our collaboration.”
- “With the law firm there are professional lawyers with high moral and professional attire that make them worthy of the profession they have chosen. They are very punctual in terms of correspondence and answers formulated in the relationship with third parties, fulfilling their mandate successfully.”
- “Highly qualified and experienced team, understanding the client’s objectives; hands-on support; straightforward, prompt and effective communication;”
- “Lucian Bozian – highly competent and extremely professional; effective in handling complex issues; naturally leading; very constructive; precise, yet quick to respond;”
- “Highly professional and result oriented team, good in understanding client”s needs”
- “Lucian Bozian has been valuable support with his in-depth expertise, experience and guidance in competition law matters”
- “A team of professionals, dedicated to the clients”needs. They delivered exceptional work in good time.”
- “We have been in contact with one of the partners, one senior associate and one expert. All of them took enough time to better understand our organization and the specific issues we face. After delivering the work, they follow-up process was more than consistent. We recommend them as being one of our most trusted partners.”
- “Long and proven experience in working on specific competition matters. The team is open and proactively searching for best approach proposals. We would highly recommend them.”
- “They are acting like real partners and not contractors, being available for analyzing a specific topic, looking for potential outcomes and helping on ensuring the proper decision for moving forward is taken.”
- “Seasoned teams, with good understanding of the practice”
- “Sorin David is one of the most outstanding competition law lawyers in Romania.”
- “Lucian Bozian, Oana Dracea – both of them very good professionals, with exceptional knowledge
COMMERCIAL, CORPORATE AND M&A – TIER 3
D&B David si Baias SCA has a versatile corporate practice with a good track record on day-to-day commercial advice, business launches and M&A. The firm is also noted for its strong regulatory expertise in key areas such as competition law, where managing partner Sorin David is a leading market figure, and also tax – the firm’s membership of the PwC network being a key attraction. Clients highly recommend the “skilled and proactive M&A team” and ”responsive and flexible” partner Anda Rojanschi has a “deep knowledge of M&A negotiations”. Clients also rate “stand-out” senior associate Adina Oprea .
Rising stars – Adina Oprea
- “People, communication, flexibility- Exceptional client managers.”
- “The team is very good at ongoing legal advice on various corporate governance issues and assistance on the company’s M&A projects (drafting/reviewing the relevant transaction documentation: MOUs, heads of terms, protocols, pre-agreements, SPAs, business transfer agreements, related corporate documentation etc);”
- “They have extensive professional experience earned in the premier league of Romanian legal consultancy.”
- “A skilled and proactive M&A team, focused on finding solutions during the entire transaction period. The team covered successfully, both during the due diligence process and during the transaction, various legal matters, from corporate to regulatory and employment matters inherent for an M&A project. A plus for the team is also the fact that they worked in an integrated PwC Romania – D&B team, thus being able to provide us with integrated advice and assistance, covering legal, financial and tax matters.”
- “Anda Rojanschi, the M&A partner, proved deep knowledge of M&A negotiations and of the market, being responsive and flexible throughout the entire transaction period. Her expertise is diverse and we appreciated her very pragmatic approach. She proposed solutions to the various issues arising during a complex project. Adina Oprea has been the project manager and a key part of the legal team assisting us during the project. Adina showed calm and effectiveness, coordinated the different streams necessary for the project, prioritizing our requests and observing sometimes very tight deadlines, being always at our disposal.”
- “Delivering excellent work products within short deadlines. Very knowledgeable. Good collaboration and continuous availability to provide on-demand legal support”
- “Stand-out lawyers: Adina Oprea”
- “Very well structured, always showing up pragmatic solutions, always the same person of contact, highly motivated, quick response.”
- “Very friendly and knowledge is very good, always responding.”
- “Ovidiu Bold – very good professional skills.”
DISPUTE RESOLUTION – TIER 3
D&B David si Baias SCA is “perfect” for complex cases where “they find solutions, simple as that”. Regulatory, tax and general administrative disputes are a particular sweet spot, with foreign clients regularly using the firm for their interactions with the relevant regulatory and government authorities. Public procurement related disputes also featured prominently in the past year. The international dimension receives further potency through the firm’s membership of the PwC Legal global network. Practice head Dan Dascălu is commended for combining “an extensive expertise in tax practice with the excellency of a great academic background”.
- “The firm is perfect to be entrusted with complex cases, which require a multidisciplinary approach, as it can bring both integrated and specific solutions, with the highest degree of professionalism.”
- “Dan Dascalu is one of the most prominent litigators, as he combines an extensive expertise in tax practice with the excellency of a great academic background and with the best qualities a good orator may hold.”
- “They are always available and they react quickly; in the telecom business, things happen very fast, so we need someone which is able to keep the pace. And they are.”
- “They find solutions, as simple as that.”
EMPLOYMENT – TIER 3
D&B David si Baias SCA has an active employment practice that is “vastly knowledgeable and experienced in labor legal matters,” and “able to provide practical and effective advice”. The practice was busy throughout the Covid-19 pandemic advising clients on strategies to adapt their businesses. The team also has good experience on restructuring projects, including collective dismissals, and regularly advises on European-wide projects. Practice head Dan Dascălu has strong experience of contentious and non-contentious issues including negotiations with trade unions and employment related tax issues.
- “The team is vastly knowledgeable and experienced in labor legal matters, able to provide practical and effective advice. We are always using their practice mainly when we are facing complex legal matters due to their expertise, creative solutions and responsiveness.”
- “The individuals we have worked with are client focused, detailed oriented, diligent in identifying risks and very responsive.”
ENERGY AND NATURAL RESOURCES – TIER 3
D&B David si Baias SCA has made strong inroads into the energy market in recent years. Key team members such as partner Laurentiu Pachiu and of counsel Delia Pachiu (“a highly professional and experienced practitioner in energy law”) have impressive credentials for advising oil and gas clients on regulatory, transactional and licensing matters. Clients seeking regulatory support, such as Hidroelectrica, receive an extra boost from the firm’s market-leading EU and competition team, where partners such as Sorin David come highly recommended. The team, including partner Anda Rojanschi, is also experienced on the transactional front.
- “The team at D&B David si Baias advising on energy matters, led by Delia Pachiu, is unique in their expertise in the energy sector. They are very knowledgeable about the laws and regulations applicable in this industry and the energy market, while their services are covering the entire spectrum required for a successful development and transactions in this sector. The team is very dedicated and knowledgeable about all details of the project and are actively involved in negotiations, being able to cut through complex situations and identify legal and commercial solutions to complex matters. We have an excellent collaboration and the team is outstanding by offering innovative solutions.”
- “Delia Pachiu is a highly professional and experienced practitioner in energy law. She is very easy to communicate with and very open to understand every aspect of our business and of our projects strategy, providing solutions and highly valuable input on legal, commercial, contractual and regulatory aspects, having at the same time a very good understanding of the energy market. We have also a great collaboration with Marius Nita and Raluca Mustaciosu, both being highly appreciated attorneys by our team and with an outstanding reputation. They come up with clever solutions in sensitive real estate and corporate/commercial matters, both being able to understand the deal dynamic, not only to provide theoretical solutions.”
- “They are very responsive and provide extensive information on the requested matter. You do not have to ask for answering any outstanding questions as questions are answered exhaustively.”
- “They are very quick and accurate in answering our requests. Their statements, documents and opinions are always on a high standard. They assist us in any other issues in connection with the main subject matter.”
- “Our collaboration with D&B was so far limited to the renewables areas. I was extremely pleased with the collaboration with Delia Pachiu, Raluca Mustaciosu and Marius Nita. They provided the necessary inputs we required while backing up their statements with solid legal arguments. They always adapted to changing time frames and provided the deliverables on time.”
REAL ESTATE AND CONSTRUCTION – TIER 4
D&B David si Baias SCA covers a wide array of real estate matters, including transactional mandates and industrial development projects. The past year saw the firm advise on commercial deals with a heavy real estate component, including factory and agricultural acquisitions. A strong selling point is the firm’s expertise in related areas such as tax, where its membership of the PwC Legal network is particularly beneficial. Lead partners include managing partner Sorin David and corporate head Anda Rojanschi . The team is headed by managing associate Georgiana Bălan ”who is skilled, prompt and a nice person to work with”.
- “Strong team covering all areas of law”.
- “I would single out Georgian Balan who is skilled, prompt and a nice person to work with.”
BANKING & FINANCE – TIER 5
D&B is a tier 5 law firm in Banking and Finance.
Ovidiu Bold is recognised as a Notable Practitioner in Capital Markets, Banking
M&A – TIER 4
D&B is a tier 4 law firm in M&A.
Sorin David and Anda Rojanschi are mentioned as Highly regarded lawyers in M&A.